Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Colombian Food!


I turn again to food that I miss. Now for Colombia! Yes, all you North Americans! COLOMBIA with two letter O's! It's amazing how often that's misspelled even in the most reputable of newspapters. When it's the country: Colombia. When it's the province: British Columbia. OK?

Anyhoo... my yummy misses from the corner of South America.

1)Ajiaco is a chicken stew. It's served with capers, heavy cream and avocado. The best ajiaco is a matter of taste. Everybody had their own recipe and argued over what the best was. I loved being judge for any contest! Here's a picture:


2) Arroz con pollo ('chicken with rice') I had a lady clean my apartment every week or so and she would make this for me. I loved just eating it out of the pot when I got home. A simple rice dish - the rice was tinged with a bit of ketchup while cooking. I would pour hot sauce ('aji') over it.

3) The lady who cleaned also made empanadas. A sort of meat and rice pie. I loved dousing those in aji too!

4) Hot chocolate with a mild, young cheese was served regularly for breakfast. I loved this - miss it more than you can imagine!

I guess I didn't have the links like the Philly one, so I'm thinking of some places in Bogota that I especially miss, too:

- I loved the hamburgers at El Corral. They actually had green tomatoes on them and then you could order anything else you would want. I loved getting mine with guacamole on it!

- I really miss the mall called Bulevar Niza - a short walk from my apartment! I called the third floor 'my office' as a joke - I almost always went there in the afternoons and often had supper at one of the many restaurants there. I had many a 'supernacho' platter with Ruth at Todo Taco. Sometimes we would eat at Crepes and Waffles! I remember a great ice cream place too - Benny's (I think it was called). There was a theater (movies were english with spanish subtitles!) and afterwards, we could check out books and have a cappicino at OMA libros!

1 comment:

RenaSherwood said...

Oh. My. Gawd.

I gotto go eat now. It's all your fault