Sunday, January 21, 2007

Abby's Best

I have a confession to make. This isn't my first foray into blogging. I actually started a blog called something like abby's best. That was two upgrade/crashes ago, so I lost the website address. I haven't been able to find it, but I'm hoping it was put to a merciful death by the host site. In it, I raved in a highly sarcastic way about my current hometown, Abbotsford. I especcially ranted about how terrible the driving is here, which it is, but, what can you do?

Another thing I wanted to do was respond to the Abbotsford Time's so-called Reader's Choice Awards, which I am convinced really translates to the cheapest eats in Abbotsford awards. So I began rating the best this and the best that to eat in Abbotsford. I think I might get to that, but in a less sarcastic way here. I've experienced the worst that sarcasm can do at different times in my life and I'm convinced that it is definitely the lowest form of humor.

Anyway, the first thing I want to discuss about what is best here is where to find the best cup of coffee. This is very important, since you wouldn't believe the amount of coffee shops we have here. And, thankfully, most of the coffee places are NOT Starbuck's!! Abbotsford actually only supports three Starbuck's that I've noticed and that's enough for me. I like buying ground coffee there every now and then as a treat, but I'm eternally baffled about what to order there. I especially despise how they treat coffee sizes. I mean, really, what the hell is a "venti" anyway??? Oh, I was gonna put a youtube link here about starbucks, because there is a really funny rant about starbucks -but every other word is....not appropriate...so just go to
youtube and search for starbucks and you'll come up with the old fart from Brooklyn's rant. Don't say I didn't warn you....

So, what, you are thinking is the best coffee. Well, I'll tell you - the best cup of coffee is that Canadian tradition (with headquarters in Ohio - 'American owned' is yet another Canadian tradition) - Tim Horton's. It's actually named after a hockey player, I mean, how Canadian is that? This is the best
coffee - you also get an extra large cup for about $2 (Eat my shorts, Starbucks!) The thing is, Abbotsford is CRAZY about Tim Horton's! We have at least 5 or more Timmy's here and they are all busy. Tim Horton's is doing better than McDonalds! Also, during spring, there is a contest at Timmy's called Rrrroll up the Rim. I hardly ever win, but my staff at school keep a running tally on our staffroom white board of wins and losses.

The thing is - you could get away with eating at Tim Horton's for breakfast, lunch and dinner without doing a Supersize Me health emergency. They now have breakfast sandwiches, which probably aren't the best for you, but you could get away with a bagel or something. I don't find the 'eats' at Starbucks interesting, the baked goods tend to be dry and cardboard-y. At Tim Horton's you can get great soup and sandwiches made to order. I've heard that TH's have started leaking into the US, so US readers get ready for a Tim Horton's near you!

No comments: