Sunday, March 05, 2006

Living in Canada - An American Perspective

Since I have traveled a bit, I have become fascinated by how different cultures work. I enjoy reading about cultures and I have become more interested in history over the years.

The running joke is that Canadians are just 'misplaced' Americans or that they are just an offshoot of the US, embracing the same culture. I would argue that they are a unique culture, and that this culture that is now in place is very needed in this world that can be dominated by images, ideas, etc. from the US. Canada is in a unique position to be a 'check and balance' to the US. Hopefully, Canada will begin to embrace that concept of being a Berean-like thinker to the US. There are some hopeful signs in the latest Canadian government, led by Stephen Harper.

Anyway, what are the key ideas that float around that make up the Canadian identity. I have found that a lot of it boils down to this quote:

"A Canadian is someone who is always asking, 'What is a Canadian?'"...(will add info about where I got quote when I find it...)

The Canadian identity seems to be wrapped up in the idea of questioning, probing, wondering. Sometimes this does look a bit neurotic, but it really isn't. Canadian culture is more open to other ideas and cultures. They don't usually just 'settle' for an answer...they want reasons.

Being outside of the US for so long, I have noticed that Americans (including me) have a tendency to be more sure. Don't bother me with more questions, I've already figured it out. President Bush's idea of "with us or against us" is, to me, something that is taking the American mindset to the extreme. (Don't get me wrong, either, I love my home country, but all cultures have their failings.)

I am fascinated by the interplay between the two countries over time. How Canada's very existence is due to the USA. How the idea that "Canadians are Americans that rejected the Revolution." (Nothrup Frye said that) is true. I think it is fascinating how the birth year of Canada, 1867, is right on the heels of the end of the US Civil War (1865).

I am fascinated by Prime Minister's and Presidents and how they get along. There's LBJ grabbing Pearson by the collar and telling him to 'stop pissing on my carpet!' (PM Pearson was not a big fan of the Vietnam War and actually talked out loud about it). There's Trudeau's famous 'sleeping elephant' reference.


Essential reading for Americans in Canada:

Coupland, Douglas Souvenir of Canada (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre) 2002

Ferguson, Will Canadian History for Dummies (Toronto: CDG Books Canada) 2000

Ferguson, Will Why I Hate Canadians (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre) 1997

Ferguson, Will & Ian Ferguson How To Be A Canadian (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre) 2001


Essential TV viewing for Americans in Canada:

CBC

Spend a week or a month, if you dare, and watch CBC. If you do, let me know...you should be rewarded, or something...

In my opinion, the best, funniest and most informative show about Canada is The Rick Mercer Report

And a word to my Canadian friends: Yes, Rick did "Talking to Americans". Yes, it was funny. However, Rick's moved on. So should you. End of comment :-)



Essential website for all Americans to have under "Favorites" while living in Canada (believe me, you'll need it!):

THE Canadian Spelling Dictionary!!

It wouldn't hurt to get the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, either!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea, Mateo, y muy interesante, especialmente para mi, como soy una Canadiense viviendo en los estado unidos.

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea Mateo, y muy interesante para mi, como soy una Canadiense viviendo en los estado unidos. Gracias por mandarmelo. Y mis saludos a tu esposa tan bonita.