Friday, March 03, 2006

How did I get here??

Good question.

I was born and raised in Delaware County, PA. I attended the local public schools until 8th grade, when I switched to Delaware County Christian School. While at DC I attended a high school job fair. I was very interested in being a scientist (l think it was an astronomer at the time), but there weren't workshops for scientists in every single block. I then chose one that looked at least semi-interesting and it was led by an elementary teacher. In fact, he was the 2nd grade teacher at the time. I listened and was fascinated. After the workshop, I spoke with him about volunteering in his classroom during some of my study halls.

Well, after that - I was hooked!! I could still communicate my love for science to someone and I could also talk about so much more!

After high school, I bumped around - mostly due to finances - to different universities. I ended up graduating with a B.S. Ed. in Early Childhood Education from West Chester University in December of 1987.

After that, I subbed in and around the Delaware County area in various school districts. I also worked at the local YMCA in an after school program as well as in the summer and holiday day camps. After a year of this, I was very discouraged by substitute teaching.

I attended a College and Careers Bible study through my home church in Pennsylvania, Aldan Union Church. One very cold night, a missionary from Youth For Christ spoke at our Bible study. This missionary was, at the time, the Director of Youth for Christ in Bogota, Colombia. He spoke on the calling of Phillip to preach to the Ethiopian Eunuch Acts 8:26-40 - this convicted me. I felt God calling me to do SOMETHING - but what???

Now this was the winter of 1989 ( I think) and there were ice storms. You could park your car and get a jug of milk at the local convenience store and go back out and your car would be frozen shut.

This missionary, it turns out, could not get his car open after the Bible Study. I offered him a ride home and we began to talk more about the school that his son attended in Bogota. It was a day school for missionary kids - quite small at the time - and about 10 years old. The school was desperate for new teachers and was only running half time because they could only get parents to fill in the gaps. It was then I realized that God wanted me to go to South America!

Off I went - after all the pre-trip fundraising and stuff - on Good Friday, 1989 and began my teaching carreer with a 3-4 combination class at El Camino Academy . I taught there for 4 1/2 years. I taught 3rd grade most of the time. I will probably do another post about my fond memories of Bogota....

Anyway, while there, I met a very interesting woman teaching a 1st grade class. She grew up in a place called Abbotsford in British Columbia, Canada. We were friends for most of that time. When it came time to leave Bogota, I realized that I couldn't just leave her and say good-bye. And, after the prompting of a friend (Hi, Jackie!!), I proposed. She, of course, made me wait two weeks or so for an answer, but on Canadian Thanksgiving Day in 1992, she finally said, "Yes!!!".

All of our friends reactions in Colombia: "Finally!!"

The long and the short of it after the engagement? The job opportunities were much better, at the time, in BC, Canada and we decided to make Abbotsford our home.

That's how this American ended up, not only in Canada, but on an opposite coast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Matt. Let's compare writing styles. Remember, as you read second grader's diary entries, that YOU wanted them to write :-)