Monday, May 29, 2006

A Favourite Bible Verse

I love this verse. It's from The Message by Eugene Peterson. It sort of describes perfectly the approach we are supposed to be taking when thinking about the kingdom of God. I have been going through a lot of rethinking about my "worldview" ~ in beliefs and what they mean to my teaching and living life. Here's the verse:

Then you can see how every student well-trained in God's kingdom is like the owner of a general store who can put his hands on anything you need, old or new, exactly when you need it."

~ Matthew 13:52

I've always had this approach for teaching, learning to be eclectic and learn from the old and use what can be used from the new.

Now I'm not saying that I am denying the Trinity or anything, but I'm rethinking things along the lines of postmodern thinking. Thinking about things like: What did Jesus really mean when he talked about the kingdom of God/heaven? What is hell? What kernel of truth is there in things like pluralism, etc.? I'm finally starting to 'get it' and realize what is needed. So I am reading a lot of Brian McLaren right now and I am fascinated by the conversation going on through the Emergent Village site.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking during my lunchtime today!

1 comment:

RenaSherwood said...

Man, I usually just think about food during my lunchtime!